Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A week or so ago, I posted an invitation for us to look into Centering Prayer, a form of contemplative prayer that Leighton Ford mentions several times in The Attentive Life. At that time, this is what I said:
I'd like to suggest that we listen and watch Fr. Keating either during class on two Sundays, November 16 and 23, or that we get together at my home for two evenings; if we do the latter, then we can learn from the tapes and then actually put into practice what we see Fr. Keating suggesting as a way of deep prayer. Now, as I hope you know, I don't want to dragoon any of you to watch Fr. Keating's "show and tell," but I would like (in an evangelical manner, with radical hospitality) to present his introduction to CP as an opening to prayer as perhaps you've not envisioned prayer before. So let's chat about the possibilities and see where the Spirit leads us.
Well, the tapes arrived in the mail today, but I'm now aware that June and I will not return from Santa Fe, NM, until November 17, and therefore I won't be with you on the 16th. And, if I remember rightly, Mondays were mentioned as the time best for everyone to meet at our home. Now, however, when I look at our November calendar, it appears that all the Mondays are committed to travel either from Nashville or to Georgia, and I will not be able to meet anytime until December. So can you please take a look at your personal calendars and see if you all are available on Monday, December 8, and Monday, December 15?

1 comment:

danielle said...

will do. in the meantime, i've been blessed this week with the opportunity to walk and run on the beach each morning, followed by some reading and praying and watching the world wake up time on the benches on the boardwalk. i don't have the book in front of me right now, but among the many things that have spoken to me in chapter 8 was the poem about life's circles. for my life i'm envisioning more of a spiral, or a series of connected circles, each loop or circle a little larger than the last and also drawn with a bit more confidence and less shakiness. except right now, when the line is both faint and shaky. i'm gonna get there, though.