Sunday, August 17, 2008

Chapter 1: Paying Attention / The Hours of Our Lives

Chapter 1 is thirty pages long (19-49), and Ford has divided it up into the following sixteen short sections, each about two pages:

  • An introduction (19-20)
  • The Benedictine Hours (20-22)
  • An Invitation to Practice the Hours (22-23)
  • Pay Attention (23-25)
  • Paying Attention to the Other (25-26)
  • The God Who Pays Attention (26-28)
  • The God Who Attends to Us (28-29)
  • The Mindfulness of God (29-32)
  • What Would It Be Like If God Did Not Pay Attention? (32-35)
  • Welcoming God's Attention--Or Not (35-37)
  • The Qualities of Attention (37-40)
  • Can We Learn to Be Attentive (40-42)
  • Stepping into Attentiveness (42-44)
  • Attentiveness and Advent: Landmarks and Skylights (44-46)
  • Practicing Attentiveness: What Have Been the Stars in Your Journey (47)
  • One Who Paid Attention: Simone Weil on a Postage Stamp (48-49)

As I looked over the chapter and started to read, I found that my own attention was drawn into some sections more than others; and I suspect those of you who are reading The Attentive Life may share something of the same experience. So to start our conversation, perhaps we can be satisfied simply to tell one another which section or sections got our attention. And why.

I'll start off by saying that I found "The God Who Pays Attention" provocative because I was unacquainted with "The Powers of Ten," that series of images which Ford and granddaughter found awesome. And while awesome, I found the incredible scale of things intellectually and psychologically daunting; to know that in both directions from where I see my fingers typing, there is an infinity of worlds, both up and down, out and in, left and right, so re-orients my sense of the universe that at the moment I don't know where to begin being attentive. There's so much to attend to! Too much! How can I begin to have an attentive life when I'm in the middle of infinities? To what or whom am I attentive? That's a question I find myself asking tonight.

2 comments:

danielle said...

i haven't made it to chapter 1 yet; indeed i'm still working my way through the introduction, but a few things have already struck me in the pages i've read. for example, p. 12, "spiritual inattentiveness, i believe, comes in large part from our fear of being known for who we really are. often we keep ourselves busy and distracted because we fear that if we slow down and are still, we may look inside and find nothing there." not that this needs to be an essay about me or a therapy session, but that really hit home. when we first started the yancey book i was taking time every day to read the bible and pray. then it started to reveal some truths to me about myself, the state of my spiritual self, the walls i have built and the image of myself i have created for the world, and the new paths and risks i believe God is urging me to take and ... suddenly i'm too busy to take that time anymore. hm.... fortunately, the words don't end there. an earlier comment, on p. 10, gave me strength and hope: "but now is a time to pay more attention to my own heart, to deepen my own friendship with God and TO WALK WITH OTHERS WHO WANT TO DO THE SAME." i am so thankful, grateful and blessed that our group has come together. i get so much from each of you every time we meet or otherwise communicate, and i know i can face life's challenges and become the person God wants me to be because i am walking with you all. i'll miss being in class in person sunday, but i'll be with you all in my heart.

~d

Andrew Harnack said...

Danielle's comments ring so true. I find it remarkable that in quoting Ford's words on p. 10, the infinitive to walk controls the concluding sentence. Times when I'm most attentive have occurred when I've been out walking and "birding" with others. By getting among others who also want to pay attention, my attentiveness is increased. I look more, hear more, and often see more. And not just birds. Others help me see flowers and flora I would otherwise "over-see," that is, simply glaze over because I'm not aware of what there is to see. So I'm with Danielle, "blessed" with a group because I'm walking with all of you.

Like you, Danielle, I didn't make it to the Sunday discussion (but I did call Harry and let him know why). And I may not be with the group for a few more Sundays in a row. But I promise to read Ford faithfully and pay attention to what's going on, not only here, but elsewhere and "elsewhen" as I try to discern the Presence of God in all things.